Testing the waters
Selecteer berichten van
# tot #
Afdrukken

Rechtenforum.nl -> Breaking the cycle

#1: Testing the waters Auteur: horsdeau BerichtGeplaatst: do 08 apr 2004 7:04
    —
Which "cycle"are we breaking here? Well, here I am, breaking the ice: Please - anyone - feel free to test any topic here in this English-language section of the Rechtenforum. It really doesn't have to relate to exchange students; maybe you have a comment/question on your class texts? I am aware that not all study material is available in Dutch.

Horsdeau

Laatst aangepast door horsdeau op do 08 apr 2004 15:04, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt

#2:  Auteur: Kafka BerichtGeplaatst: do 08 apr 2004 8:55
    —
I think "the cycle" which is referred to by de Webmeester, is a literal translation of a dutch saying.
In Dutch there is a common practice to refer to the (social) group in which you are located and with whom you asort with "de kring van mensen met wie je omgaat".
When one translates this saying literally one would probably get something akin to "the cycle of people with whom you asort with".
So to break through the boundaries and have contact with other people than the every day people (mostly exchange students in the case of foreign students), you could use the expression "breaking the cycle".

On the other hand it could just as easily refer to the fact that an English topic is breaking "the cycle".
But if so cycle would be (yet again) an incorrect use of the word cycle.
In that case it should have read breaking the habit (of having Dutch topics).

Well I hope this answered your question, and if not feel free to ask for further clarification on this or other subjects.
Actually I would appreciate more questions because I would like to excercise some more in my literary skills in the English language.
Eventhough I was raised bilingual* I have lost a considerable part of my writing skills since emphasizing on the Dutch language during my present studies.

* Actually I was raised quadruplelingual but only 2 are my mother and/or native tongue.
My verbal skills but mainly writing skills in German, French, Spanish and Czech aren't at the same level as my English or Dutch are.

#3:  Auteur: horsdeau BerichtGeplaatst: do 08 apr 2004 15:02
    —
A-ha! That would then be translated as "breaking the CIRCLE." One can describe one's habitual acquaintances as a 'circle of friends'. [Kring= most often describes a circular- or ring-shaped form.

Based upon your ease with writing [long] messages, I would say that you have lost little of your initial language skills. I am curious, Kafka: you sat for the Encyclopedia exam (I believe) earlier this semester, yet you stated elsewhere that you are in the later stages of your advanced studies. How is this possible? Isn't Encyclopedia an introductory legal theory course?

#4:  Auteur: Michèle BerichtGeplaatst: do 08 apr 2004 16:50
    —
Heheh. I don't know how it's done exactly in this case, because I study at a different university. But SOME people tend to take some time to succeed for certain exams Wink.
In fact, most Dutch students show this skill!

#5:  Auteur: Kafka BerichtGeplaatst: do 08 apr 2004 22:28
    —
Very Happy
Indeed Horsdeau, just like Michèle said, I am also having some difficulties in certain subjects. Confused
At the moment I still follow a few first year subjects, 5 second year subjects and one third year subject. Wink

********MEA CULPA, MEA CULPA, MEA MAXIMA CULPA**********

Laatst aangepast door Kafka op do 08 apr 2004 22:58, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt

#6:  Auteur: Michèle BerichtGeplaatst: do 08 apr 2004 22:48
    —
Laughing
Indeed, Kafka, you also have some difficulty in spelling people's names right! But I appreciate the effort! Wink
Cheerz, Michèle

Rechtenforum.nl -> Breaking the cycle

Tijden zijn in GMT + 2 uur

Pagina 1 van 1

© 2003 - 2005 Rechtenforum.nl